M. Özgün Özok is one of the founding partners of Akol. His practice focuses on banking and structured finance transactions with a special emphasis on project finance.
Özgün acts for a range of domestic and international banks and financial institutions, corporations and private equity sponsors. This includes advising a myriad of investments and commercial banks based in Turkey gaining substantial experience for more than a decade advising on all aspects of banking and finance related transactions.
He also works on all aspects of the development, acquisition, disposal and funding of energy and infrastructure assets ranging from upstream oil and gas to electricity, gas transmission and distribution.
Özgün regularly advises lenders and borrowers on debt restructuring in the context of pre-insolvency and safeguard proceedings, as well as in bankruptcy scenarios. He also represents clients in connection with major initial public offerings and M&A transactions. In addition, he is involved in regulatory M&As across a variety of sectors with a focus on banking and energy M&As.
Prior to joining Akol, Özgün worked for a leading international law firm in the Istanbul office.
Özgün is recognized and ranked as “Leading Lawyer” by various international legal directories.
Özgün has advised on the following:
- Syndicates of lenders in relation to syndicated credit facilities to a number of Turkish corporates, banks and financial institutions (both secured and unsecured)
- Lenders, sponsors and borrowers in relation to the restructuring of a variety of debt financings
- Banks and corporates on all aspects of acquisition financing
- Private placements and public offerings in relation to debt securities by Turkish corporates and banks
- Lenders and borrowers in relation to the financing of health PPP transactions and a variety of energy and infrastructure projects (including all kind of renewable energy projects, concessions, roads, port, utilities)
- Sponsors on a variety of deals across the energy value chain
- Lenders and borrowers in relation to debt restructuring and refinancing
Practice Areas: Banking & Finance, Project Finance & Acquisition Finance, Islamic Finance, Administrative Law, Investigations & White-Collar Crime, Privatisation, PPP and Government Contracts, Restructuring & Insolvency
• Banking & Finance
• Project Finance & Acquisition Finance
• Islamic Finance
• Administrative Law
• Investigations & White-Collar Crime
• Privatisation, PPP and Government Contracts
• Restructuring & Insolvency
Bars and Courts: Istanbul Bar Association, 2004
LL.B., Galatasaray University, School of Law, 2003
Languages: English, French, Turkish